Department Lead and RSP Teacher
Important Course Decisions
At PV High we attempt to creatively design a program to meet each student’s needs. It is important to know the difference between the classes and which classes meet the A-G requirements. Course recommendations come from the middle school general education teachers and case carrier.
Typical Freshman Schedule
- Physical Education
- English 1 – A-G approved course, student is in the class independently.
- English 1 Collaborative – A-G approved course, there is a general education English teacher and a special education
teacher. MUST BE CONCURRENTLY ENROLLED IN GUIDED STUDY
- Reading and Writing Skills 1 – NOT AG approved course – open to special education students only and taught by
special education teacher. RSP course. We also offer a SDC version of the course as needed.
Every student MUST pass Algebra in order to obtain a high school diploma.
- Geometry – A-G approved course
- Algebra 1 – A-G approved course
- Essentials of Alg A – NOT A-G approved course
- Essentials of Alg B – NOT A-G approved course
- Consumer Math – NOT A-G approved course
- Biology – A-G approved course
- Life Science – NOT A-G approved course
There is space in the Freshman schedule for two electives.
- Visual and Performing Art – choose an A-G elective.
- Guided Study – not an A-G approved course
- AVID – A-G elective, not part of the special education program
Guided Study supports the student with accessing the general education curriculum by working on:
- Additional instruction which addresses goals in the IEP
- Organizational skills
- Study skills
- Self Advocacy
- Behavior Support
- Transition Goal Achievement
- Assignments from other classes that require accommodations best applied in this setting.
- Guided Study
- Bi-Weekly Grade Reports
- Edmodo – Resource and Support
- Edmodo – Collaborative English
- Testing Center
- Note taking Center
- The accommodations/modifications are reviewed every year.
- Every year the team will determine if the accommodations are working; obtain feedback from the teachers to make sure
that they are appropriate for the student.
- Modifications alter the curriculum or testing environment – as a team everyone needs to understand this and make sure
we are in agreement before making modifications.
- A student MUST pass Algebra in order to earn a high school diploma.
- A student MUST take two years of Physical Education in order to earn a high school diploma.
- A – G Approved Courses
- Transition Planning
- Diploma vs – Certificate of Completion
Certificate of Completion
Specially designed program to prepare qualifying students to participate in a transition program through the age of 22.
- Functional Academic Skills
- Social Skills
- Activities of Daily Living
- Executive Functioning Skills
- Community Based Instruction
Meet our Special Education Staff
Department Lead and RSP teacher
Classes Taught: Essentials of Algebra, Guided Study, Collaborative English 9, Collaborative English 10
Allyson is the Link Crew Coordinator also
Classes Taught: Life Science, Collaborative English 9, Guided Study
Classes Taught: Essentials of Algebra, Guided Study, Collaborative English 11, Colm coaches the JV Boys and Girls Golf team also.
Classes Taught: Guided Study, Collaborative RWS 4, RSP US/World History
Classes Taught: Guided Study, RWS 1,2 3, Collaborative English 9
Classes Taught: SDC English, SDC History, SDC Science, Consumer Math, SDC Guided Study,
Hasmine’s program also spends time cooking, gardening and teaching life skills in the community.
Dr. Loren Albeg
Speech and Language Pathologist
310-378-8471 x 292
Special Education Secretary
|Patricia Petrucci, PV Life Skills Center